Wednesday 6 January 2010

But not for long....Chieveley Cancelled

I wrote the previous post yesterday and then looked out of the window. No problems, just a bit of snow I thought as big lumps of white floated gently to the ground.

This morning Reading is under 6 -8 inches of the cold stuff and at 9.30, it's still going.

The weather forcast for the weekend if for more snow on both days, and with temps not due to go over zero degrees, there's little chance of it melting.

Taking into account the above, we've decided to cancel this weekends event. I love cycling in the snow and personally would like to go ahead with the Off road ride, but I can't get to anyone who injures themselves and the emergency services woudn't be too happy with me either! Another factor is trying to get the staff there as two come from Brighton, one from Cambridge and another from Southampton. (Mark lives in Tadley, about 5miles from the event centre, driving into Tadley last night he was turned back and told to go to Basingstoke! Eventually got home by driving around the road block on country lanes.)

The event has been taken off-line and every one who has pre-entered will get a refund.

Right, just off for a ride across Reading....

Take care out there
Dean

4 comments:

dhague said...

That's completely understandable. I was looking at the weather forecast myself just before I got the news about Chieveley, and was certainly having second thoughts. Shame - I was looking forward to my first winter sportive, having really enjoyed (!) getting out to ride in the freezing temperatures we've been having.

All the best,
Darren

The Ride It! Team said...

Hi Darren

Thanks for comments. Met Check has next two days as bright and sunny, then light to heavy snow for the weekend. Cycling on frozen roads whilst being overtaken by 4x4s who think stopping distances don't appy to them, in a snow storm, doesn't apear on any of our Risk Assesments!

Ta
Dean

The Ride It! Team said...

I have used my butterfingers to delete a comment rather than post it. So to the confused visitor who posted at 9.51am this morning, I hope the recent post has cleared up any questions.

If not, the event is cancelled.

Ta
Dean

The Ride It! Team said...

Found him, he commented on the previous post.

Dean